Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: FERPA Notice of Proposed Rulemaking Addresses Changes in IT

From: Gary Dobbins <dobbins () ND EDU>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:28:17 -0400

We deliberately defined our internal unique ID number as "not to be
considered secret, and therefore not valid as roof of identity" -- it's
merely a disambiguator, making it an ideal primary key.

[rant]
...All the things SSN was supposed to be, until the credit bureaus and
banks started accepting knowledge of it as authentic proof of identity.
I'm not sure the government caused the SSN debacle.  But they could fix
it, at the risk of angering the banks and credit agencies, who would
have to incur expense to change their business processes.  It's easier
for them to make us secure the number than to let it become public and
valueless as an authenticator.
[/rant]

Kevin Shalla wrote:
Thanks Rodney,

It seems that the legislators here are confusing identification with
authentication.  I hope that universities learned from the social
security number problem (a number, stored in thousands if not millions
of IT systems around the country, properly used for identification and
improperly used (because it's convenient) as authentication) and are
not allowing knowledge of a student ID number to gain access to
anything.  I'm pushing to define student ID as directory information
so that it cannot ever be used for authentication, but some on campus
are afraid of doing this.

What do others think?

Kevin