Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Local Administrators

From: Dave Hull <dphull () KU EDU>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 16:52:58 -0500

On 3/27/08 9:47 AM, "Daniel Bennett" <dbennett () PCT EDU> wrote:

Currently we allow our students to be local administrators on lab computers.
The reason is that some software needs admin-level access to run.  How do you
all handle software like that.  I would like to get our students to the
power-user level.

We don¹t allow anyone to run as Administrator on their own machine. We use
ProcessMonitor from Sysinternals to find what files and registry keys need
to have permissions set to make the software run.

--
Dave Hull, CISSP, GCFA, GCIH, GREM, SSP-MPA, CHFI
Director of Technology

SANS Mentor Security 508: Computer Forensics, Investigation and Response
https://www.sans.org/mentor/details.php?nid=11673

"The free world says that software is the embodiment of knowledge about
technology, which needs to be free in the same way that mathematics is
free."
-- Eben Moglen, Software Freedom Law Center