Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: E-Signatures

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:12:26 -0500

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:45:45 EST, Daniel Adinolfi said:

correct.  Some applications we've seen just have something like "type
your name in this field to sign this form".

You're pulling our collective legs, right?  I *hope* so.. ;)

                                               A campus customer is
looking for something more comprehensive than that.  What are other
people doing short of implementing PKI or using login credentials as
a signature?

At some point, you have to bite the bullet and say "If you expect this
signature to be 'authenticated', you're going to need to use some sort of
authentication technology, whether it's PKI or login credentials or whatever".