Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Physhing email using phone number

From: "Jenkins, Matthew" <matthew.jenkins () FAIRMONTSTATE EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 11:25:47 -0400

We also received similar messages to our campus which were targeted
against a credit agency in our area.  The number was in our area code,
and when called had an automated system that took a credit card number,
expiration date, and I think zip code.  Then it told you that your
account was reactivated and it disconnected (we called it and put in a
bunch of single digits to go through the prompts).  It was a poor
quality system, but convincing enough for most non-technical users.

I thought I saw somewhere in the new Cisco ASA 8.0+ firmware that there
was better SIP and/or SCCP inspection.  I also thought I had seen
examples or maybe commentary of how you could use it to block specific
call attributes including called party.  However, now I can't find
anything on it, so I may be mistaken.  If you are running the 8.0
firmware it may be worth calling TAC and asking.

Matt

Matthew Jenkins
Network/Server Administrator
Fairmont State University