Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data Classification: Legal criteria

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 15:10:00 -0400

Basgen, Brian wrote:
 We are in the process of developing a data classification policy with
three types: public, internal, and confidential.

 The criteria or logic behind classifying confidential data is fairly
easy: FERPA, GLBA, PCI, etc, requires the confidentiality of certain
data types. Yet, I am not clear on the best external criteria to use for
classification of internal data. Peer institutions, "best practices" is
one thought, but I'm wondering what other objective criteria people have
employed for the justification of making certain kinds of data internal
as opposed to public. Let me know, thanks.

We are in the process of revamping our classification scheme as well.  Our approach (pending approval of course) will be to
classify regulated data and leave everything else up to the data owner to classify.  FIPS 199 with some guidelines on
mapping it to your classification scheme can be used to help data owners make the decision for themselves.  Some
Universities have adopted the practice of assigning a default classification (e.g. Internal Use Only) to non-regulated data
that has not been formally classified by its respective data owner.  I'm pushing for a similar practice here.