Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: What companies do a good security audit/review

From: John Ladwig <John.Ladwig () CSU MNSCU EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:43:57 -0500

In our system, we've had phenomenal satisfaction levels with a peer-review Information Security Assessment Program
across our 35 member insitutions.

We build an assessment team composed of faculty consultants, IT staff consultants, and permanent security staff to work
a program based on putting business and IT together to talk about sensitive data, where it's located, how it's used,
and how it's protected.  Eventual outcome is a roadmap of activites campuses should undertake over the next year or
two, with major activities outlined.

There's a more than passing resemblance between our assessment instruments and PCI-DSS, although we're not undertaking
the external scan component at this time.  Meanwhile we're spinning up a comprehensive internal program of
vulnerability scanning and management.

We're lucky in that we're a big system, and we can organize and fund this approach.  Those with smaller schools might
want to arrange a swap, along a common framework.  One of the things we don't do in our program is allow staff or
faculty field assessors to assess their own institutions.

    -jml

"Bruhn, Mark Steven" <mbruhn () INDIANA EDU> 2008-03-14 09:14 >>>
Depending on what you want, you may also identify a respected colleague from another like-institution, ask that person
to put a team together, and have a peer review done?  I have said many times that we do not do enough of that, while
handing a lot of money to companies that walk in with no clue as to higher education culture, environment, and
operations.
M.