Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Device/Endpoint Security

From: Zwe Paing <Zwe.Paing () MARYMOUNT EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:42:34 -0400

We are currently implementing endpoint security by enforcing device
encryption mostly on laptops for remote users. We have both Cisco NAC
and CSA on our testing lab and would like to have suggestions and
recommendations to have capability to encrypt the folders/drives on
laptops and what kind of tools Windows built-in encryption or
third-party apps such as Symantec or Zenworks would suit the situation.

Quite frankly, we were lead to believe that CSA as a complete solution,
including device encryption, and found out the opposite. Now, with
everything set up and we were stuck on the file encryption part and
would like to have your help while avoiding to have another cisco
applianace or extra cost if at all possible. Also, we are unix house
mainly and may not have the ability to use Windows server solution and
I'm not sure if that will make it a lot easier, or it might.

Thank you.

Zwe