Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 3rd party want to authenticate our users

From: "Basgen, Brian" <bbasgen () PIMA EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:07:21 -0700

 Transmitting clear-text passwords to a vendor should never be
necessary. A one way hash is all they should need, assuming your users
enter their passwords directly onto the vendor's system. Otherwise, you
should authenticate before forwarding to the vendor, or house the
service internally.

Brian Basgen
Information Security
Pima Community College