Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: External Consultants

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 13:58:20 -0600

Taylor, James R wrote:
I would like to know if we might be opening a can of worms by possibly having multiple vendors provide an assessment, and if we are unnecessarily restricting ourselves to vendors on the “Qualified Security Assessors” list.

We are using an external consultant from AT&T on an architecture assessment task; it's good to get an external view. I think the QSA is an unnecessary restriction. It doesn't buy you more skills, just a different lens. Requiring CISSP and, optionally, CISM is more likely to point to good value.
--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti