Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: classifying P2P traffic - what about legit uses?

From: "Harris, Michael C." <HarrisMC () HEALTH MISSOURI EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 12:02:25 -0600

All licensing and free use issues aside (that argument has been beaten
back and forth way too often, let's not rehash it) for some of us it is
as much an issue of bandwidth (see David Gillett's post) and malware
embedded in the download.  How often is gross P2P activity a tell-tale
for other abuse or malware risk?  Additionally is it legitimate to be
upgrading our pipes to accommodate what some may feel is questionable
activity?

From a user education standpoint, the moral and ethical controls of the
individual seem to be slower to develop than the technical ability.
Enforcement down to the individual is rare at best when the money and
publicity incentive is to go after the institution not the individual.
It shifts the liability upward from the individual to the institution.

Similar to Joel's posing we are in a 250MB/day kind of range before we
take action, Not that we block anything, it merely is a trigger point to
investigate or dig deeper.

Mike