Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall - Outbound Ports

From: Roger Safian <r-safian () NORTHWESTERN EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:14:47 -0600

At 10:48 AM 1/29/2008, Michael Hornung put fingers to keyboard and wrote:
If you're attempting to block certain activities, not just ports for their
own sake -- I mean, what's wrong with the number 445 anyway? -- it would
seem more effective to use layer7 packet filtering or shaping to
accomplish your goals.  Firewalling at layers 3/4 only encourages a place
we don't want to be, the port 80 Internet.

I think it depends on many factors, including your goals and objectives,
resources (especially financial and people), and the amount of traffic
you have to deal with.  I suspect that in an ideal world, a mutli-layer
approach would be best.  That being said, filters at layers 3/4 are cheap
and can be effective against certain attacks, but they do have their
limits.  A proper risk assessment will help solidify what mitigation
processes will be effective in your organization.

--
Roger A. Safian
r-safian () northwestern edu (email) public key available on many key servers.