Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re:

From: "Peters, Kevin" <Kevin.Peters () OLC STATE OH US>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:06:13 -0500

The State of Ohio has established a State-wide program for data
protection, with direction coming from the Governor's office.  The
sub-committee working on this project selected Safeboot as the
application of choice for data storage devices of the mobile computing
variety.  (Tape backup encryption is varied upon the hardware being
used.)  Yes, there are other applications of equal capability; this is
just the one the sub-committee selected.  Within the sub-committee
conversations the first question asked was under what circumstances a
data storage device should be encrypted.  Second, why does the
individual have the data?  Reviewing resources such as NIST publications
800-53 and 800-53A and ISO 27000-series guidelines the State
sub-committee came to this conclusion:

- If the data at rest on a storage device is considered to be sensitive
(private) then the device will be encrypted.

- If the data is considered important (confidential) at the time, such
as an RFP document, then at a minimum the device should be password
protected, with encryption as a higher level option.

- If the data doesn't fall into either of those other two then neither
encryption or a password is required.

At what level to encrypt - entire hard-drive or just the folder is up to
the agency, however the State is indicating that full encryption is
suggested.  Safeboot allows for both levels of encryption, locking down
USB ports, and various other security features.  If the person is not
sure, then error on the safe side and encrypt.  What also needs to be
kept in mind by the user communities are the various laws and possible
outcomes of not protecting data that is considered sensitive.  At the
individual level, the person who loses the device could be subject to
various litigation and penalties.  At the institutional level
litigation, penalties, and mitigation are at stake.

As an example, in June, a backup tape was stolen from the State of Ohio
containing all of the SSNs for all State employees - over 64,000.  At
the individual level several people were "thrown under the bus" and
terminated for the incident.  At the institutional level it is estimated
that the State has over two million dollars invested in mitigation and
still counting.  The State is looking at years of mitigation associated
with this incident.  I know Ohio University had an incident back in 2006
that has had a significant "cost" to that institution.  (In addition to
the statutes mentioned, GLB I believe allows for civil recourse in
addition to criminal recourse.

At the Ohio State Lottery we also intend to perform mandatory user
awareness training and random audits for compliance, however bottom-line
the individual users must understand the significance and importance of
having sensitive or private data on storage devices, and protecting that
data.  Otherwise that person should not be allowed to have the data.

Kevin Peters

IT Manager

The Ohio State Lottery