Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Recommendations on Email Filtering System

From: "Anthony \"Tony\" Quigg" <quiggt () TAMUG EDU>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 08:50:08 -0600

We are currently looking to replace our email spam/virus filter and
would like to hear what systems other people are using. After initial
investigation the price range for appliances and managed services varies
greatly so it is hard to determine what you are getting for your money.
We have around 500 desktops on campus.

One of the important factors (apart from stopping the spam and viruses)
is to be able to get decent reporting information such as the number and
name of quarantined viruses on a monthly basis. I have found that most
manufacturers do not have a lot of information about what reports are
available.

Feel free to email me directly if you don't want to inundate the list.

Any recommendations, good or bad experiences greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tony Quigg
Computer Systems Manager
Texas A&M University at Galveston