Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Passwords & Passphrases

From: Steven Alexander <alexander.s () MCCD EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:36:57 -0800

I'd like to add a couple of thoughts:

First, even if an attacker gains access to a system due to some other
weakness, weak passwords may allow him to keep access, escalate his
privileges or to gain access to another system within the same
organization.  It may not be a primary attack vector, but good password
policies are still important.  Of course, we should also be focusing on
patch schedules, user education, firewalls and other issues.

Second, the password security situation can be improved, with or without
changing your password requirements, by moving from crypt(3) passwords
to MD5 or Blowfish on Unix and by disabling LAN Manager hashes on
Windows.  These changes are transparent to the users and can make
passwords much harder to crack--unless the password is "monkey".

Cheers,

Steven

Steven Alexander Jr.
Online Education Systems Manager