Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Metrics

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:42:46 -0700

I've read this book, and I enjoyed it. In fact, I didn't have to leave my living-room chair to grab it after reading
your question.

I think Jacquith makes a bit too much of the "you can't improve what you can't measure" mantra, but I do think he lays
out a good case for the need to do better measuring of security activities. It would be hard to image an organization
that has never done security metrics using only this book to create something from scratch, but I think the book
certainly can serve as a guideline to shoot for.

One useful observation, which I had dog-eared for later reference, is Jacqueth's contention that the use of asset
valuation (Annualized Loss Expectancy, etc) in security risk analysis is next to useless. He feels that we need metrics
that are less vulnerable to mis-estimation and "spreadsheet engineering" (his term).

I'd recommend it as a thought-provoking, good read.

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University