Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Don't Display Last Username??

From: Cal Frye <cjf () CALFRYE COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 17:30:15 -0400

Jarrod Millman wrote:
On 10/11/07, Gibson, Nathan J. (HSC) <Nathan-Gibson () ouhsc edu> wrote:
Every " security best practices" document I have read suggests enabling
this setting on the domain, however I need to justify it. I have a list that
has some good points but I wanted to see the justification other security
practitioners have for their organization.

I think the main reason is that to gain access to most computers
requires at least two things: 1) a login name and 2) a password.  If a
computer displays the last user's login, then one of the two pieces of
information needed to gain access is exposed.

This assumes your usernames are not easily guessed. But if there is
likely to be a "jsmith" somewhere on campus...

--
Regards,
-- Cal Frye, Network Administrator, Oberlin College

   www.calfrye.com,  www.pitalabs.com

"I am not blaming those who are resolved to rule, only those who show an
even greater readiness to submit." --Thucydides.