Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Use of VPN

From: Vuong Phung <vphung () SCIENCE SJSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:47:58 -0700

For years we have used ssh tunneling for remote desktop and other ports forwarding for VPN needs. Our SSH server is Mac
OSX Tiger and attached to AD, so users logon via SSH using the same accounts that they already have on AD. It's easy to
deploy and maintenance, flexible, and utilize servers that we already have (zero cost) On the client side we use Putty
for Windows and built-in ssh command for Mac OSX/Linux/Unix computers. Below link is instruction on how to set up ssh
tunneling + Remote Desktop on the client side; however, the same method can be used to forward almost any port for your
VPN needs.

http://www.angeltech.us/?RESOURCES:Technical_How_To:Remote_Desktop
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vuong Phung