Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability Scanners

From: Doug Markiewicz <dmarkiew+educause () ANDREW CMU EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 11:52:57 -0400

If you want good results, you're probably better off with specialized tools.
Network scanners don't typically do thorough web scanning and vice versa.
In my previous consulting life, I used a mix of Qualys and Nessus.  Nessus
is good from the standpoint that its free but lacks in quality of results,
IMHO.  There are a lot of false positives and the presentation of results is
pretty poor, again IMHO.  You also don't get any reliable support.  I've
heard the commercial Tenable scanner is better but I don't have any
experience.

Qualys does a much better job with results and the amount of information
provided.  They're also easy to work with when you're trying to troubleshoot
false positives.  Management interface is relatively user friendly.  Results
are stored on-site at Qualys and retrieved through a web interface.  Some
folks have an issue with this.  They do have a security model in place that
prevents Qualys employees from accessing your results.  They'd be able to
give you more info on that.  Overall, I would certainly recommend checking
them out.

For web scanning, I've used SPI Dynamics WebInspect in the past.  It's a bit
resource intensive and sometimes provides too much information but overall
I've always been pretty happy with it.  Not much out there in terms of good
open-source alternatives.  You can check out tools like Nikto and Paros but
they're not going to get you near the same quality results as a commercial
scanner.

Unfortunately, I can't speak too much regarding database scanning tools.
Hope this helps!