Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Guest wireless access at University Conference Centers

From: "Brinkman, Kathleen B. Ms." <brinkmkb () MUOHIO EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:47:06 -0400

Tagging onto this thread (I checked the archives and see 12/2006 threads on "open access to student labs" and "public
access library ports", but don't see other threads on specific vendor solutions in support of guest access in a
'private network' sense).

Does anyone have information on a vendor-provided solution to manage guest accounts?  We plan to implement across
campus, as Virginia Tech seems to have done.  I like the VA Tech system's ability for a guest to create their own
account and request departmental approval --- that off-loads some of the setup to the person requesting access.

We use Cisco Clean Access and can feed the accounts to CCA, once created.  I had planned to manage them elsewhere, in a
system designed for that.

Kathie Brinkman
Director, Support Services
IT Services