Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on Jericho Forum

From: Bruce Curtis <bruce.curtis () NDSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 14:43:51 -0500

On Jun 14, 2007, at 2:11 PM, Karen Duncanson wrote:

Steve's response is very good. To add to that, consider that the
most economical security is prevention; in terms of time and
dollars. If we can get the low hanging fruit with perimeter
security then we will spend much less time chasing the things that
get inside. We will be better able to identify and deal with
nefarious activity that gets past the perimeter if we siphon off
everything we can at the perimeter with good perimeter security
practices. Host based prevention is very effective. It can be very
costly in terms of dollars and administration time. It is most
important for sensitive servers. We need Host based prevention. We
also need to employ best practices at the perimeter. We need
defense in depth.

  I think that one of the concepts from the Jericho forum and
elsewhere is that the perimeter is gone.  In the days when firewalls
first appeared in banks, to protect a network of Windows 3.1 machines
that could barely squeeze a TCP/IP stack in 640K and that machine was
only used to run two applications that only talked to the banks
mainframe, in those days a network firewall had some usefulness.
Nowadays every laptop has more processing power than the firewall
that originally protected the bank and therefore has the power to
protect itself.  In the old days we didn't have thousands of
computers leaving campus and then coming back the next day, we didn't
have everyone reading email and instant messages etc (multiple
avenues of attack).

  I agree that prevention is economical, that is why I prefer a host
based IPS that can prevent more problems than a firewall on the border.

  We can repeat the defense in depth mantra all we want, but a good
security warrior puts their resources in "defensible positions".
Cities no longer have walls because in the modern world we have tanks
and airplanes.  I think a modern network should have good host
defenses, and a good local police department to snuff out infected
machines quickly.