Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [Possible SPAM] sync general user accounts to SIS accounts ?

From: Karen Duncanson <duncans2 () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 18:49:27 -0400

Richard:

I am encouraged to hear that you are planning a secure strategy with two layers of authentication. I am an advocate of
systems designed to prevent breaches, even when some convenience is sacrificed.  I realize that a good solution may be
difficult to identify and more difficult to implement.

I have recently been asked to recommend something for our network that would provide an initial challenge to confirm
WHO the individual is, before giving basic read access and then a second different challenge (password) to gain
read/write access on secure devices. It is easier described than done. Secure ID (one time password), is of course, an
effective, but expensive solution, so I don't see us doing that. I am thinking more along the lines of a second
password authentication system separate and unique from the campus LDAP.

My feeling is that there is a reasonable solution, but regardless there will be individuals who will feel
inconvenienced simply because it is different than what they are used to.

Karen