Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Are you conforming to CALEA?

From: Marty Hoag <marty.hoag () NDSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 12:33:53 -0500

Mark, et al.:

   It seems to me the term "comply" is problematic. I would
think that all campuses feel they are complying with CALEA
now. It seems the issue is who provides the connection point
for law enforcement. But just because we may feel that is
our ISP's responsibility, that is still compliance with the
law and the rules as we see it.

   Also, there is an EDUCAUSE list, CALEA-HE () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU,
focused on CALEA and Higher Education. You might want to check
there. I didn't see it on the constituent group list but you can
see the archives and join at
   http://listserv.educause.edu/archives/calea-he.html
I think.

   marty

Mark Morrissey wrote:
Since at some point in the future, we may have to comply with CALEA
requirements, I am interested in hearing from schools with a similar
connection to their upstream ISP who have opted to comply with CALEA now.