Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: POP vs IMAP policy

From: Paul Russell <prussell () ND EDU>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 23:11:13 -0400

On 4/20/2007 17:55, David Lundy wrote:
We are proposing eliminating POP in favor of IMAP using encrypted connections
> only for faculty and staff who access email in this fashion.  Our reasoning is
> that POP is based on the model of downloading the email to the client whereas
> IMAP is primarily server based.  Server resident email better prepares us for
> handling document retention and E-Discovery.

Has anyone addressed this issue?  What arguments did you make?  What policies
> do you have?  Were E-Discovery or document retention issues addressed?

I do not understand how the elimination of POP will facilitate implementation
of a message retention strategy.

How will you prevent users from copying messages from their IMAP mailbox to
local storage, then deleting the messages from their IMAP mailbox?

How will you ensure that sent messages are stored in an appropriate folder
in the user's IMAP mailbox, rather than on the user's workstation?

--
Paul Russell, Senior Systems Administrator
OIT Messaging Services Team