Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

<SPAM> Re: OT: vendor contacts after list posting

From: Dennis Meharchand <Dennis () VALTX COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:48:19 -0400

A VENDOR PERSPECTIVE

Our company who is developing endpoint computer security products has
quickly learned the rules of the game:

A) The listserv is for peers to communicate and get recommendations on
products/solutions from one another - not for vendors to solicit or pitch
their ware.
B) Even if our solution meets a posted need it is inappropriate as a vendor
to respond. By and large participants are seeking the experiences of their
peers - not vendor pushes. As a vendor I should sell my products directly to
members and if those customers are happy with our products they will
evangelize for us.
C) As a vendor it is frustrating to know that you have a solution and are
unable to promote it in the listserv. Educause would do well to create an
area where vendors can promote/advertise their solutions and members, at
their discretion, can search through such proposed solutions. Vendors should
pay for this privilege - perhaps $100-200 per product/solution listing.
D) We had a Business Development Manager target the list. He got a warning.
He did it a second time. We fired him. Vendors should understand that much
is to be gained by being allowed to monitor the list - what solutions are
needed, features etc. We appreciate being allowed access. Vendors should
agree to the rules of the game - granted not everyone knows.

Dennis Meharchand
CEO, Valt.X Technologies Inc.
Tel: 1-800-361-0067, 416-746-6669
Fax: 416-746-2774