Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remote Terminal Services / SharePoint Servers

From: "Lovaas,Steven R" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 18:29:31 -0700

Dave,

Many organizations are using SSL VPNs for this purpose. We just installed a Juniper (formerly NetScreen formerly
Neoteris) Secure Access Server to provide more flexible remote (and wireless) access, and it includes the ability to
easily tunnel Remote Desktop/Terminal Services.

In fact, Juniper is selling a license flavor for this product that they call "ICE" - short for "In Case of Emergency",
specifically marketing to people concerned about emergency large-scale network access. It allows for short-term
exceeding of normal licensed user limits, etc.

Hope this helps,

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University