Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Data in SYN Packets

From: Mark Newman <mnx () UTK EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 18:09:07 -0400

Hi-
the 3DNS theory is as close to being reasonable as anything anyone could
suggest...without seeing a full packet dump...so, even though I love
that darn Google...searching through a packet dump is a better place to
start.

...with many commercial IPS/IDS, you get lots of fancy signatures,
flexibility in response, a supposedly better ~approximation~ towards
anomaly detection, blobbity-blah-blah...but, aren't privileged enough to
see the actual structure of the signatures...(may the sun continue to
shine forever on open source)

...to have the most accurate understanding of what is really happening
you have to be able to (1) see and understand the stimulus/response (the
packets), (2) understand how the stimulus/response is processed by the
100 gajillion dollar IPS/IDS (the structure and inner workings of the
signature, etc. - yeah, right), and (3) distinguish and understand the
"alert" or "response" (if you get one...) as useful or...not

Mark Newman
University of Tennessee, Knoxville