Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Business Continuity Plans for an Information Security Office

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:48:02 -0700

Yes, I consider an asset inventory that includes service criticality and
data sensitivity to be a prerequisite to any good business continuity
plan or risk assessment.

We'll be starting a push on asset inventory and classification on our
campus soon to try and get all departments to make sure they have given
thought to this matter and created an asset inventory.

For those who are curious, you can see our IT asset inventory and
classification guidance document here:
http://www.colorado.edu/its/security/itriskmanagement/UCB%20Guidance%20o
n%20Information%20Asset%20Classification.doc

It uses criticality and sensitivity language defined in university
system-wide policy and hopefully will become commonly understood across
all of our campuses (it's a new policy, so the common terms are just
getting off the ground now).

On a side note, I'm still musing on how to best collect, aggregate and
make accessible the type of criticality and dependency information that
one collects in business continuity planning.  I'm keeping an eye on the
new BCP list to see what options might be out there, particularly for
tracking dependencies and chained criticality.

Brad Judy

ITS - UCB