Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: WPA/WPA2 and Apple Airport (not Airport Extreme) cards

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:40:54 -0600

I haven't tried that particular USB adapter, but I have had incredibly
bad experience with others of the same ilk.

-ken

Joe St Sauver wrote:
Hi,

If you have users who are using (or planning to use) WPA/WPA2
for wireless access control and link encryption, you should be
aware that Apple's classic Airport cards, no longer sold by
Apple itself, do NOT currently support WPA/WPA2 (I've verified
this with Apple).[1]

This is NOT an issue for current generation Airport Extreme
cards, JUST for the older "classic" Airport cards. Because of
physical differences between the Airport and Airport Extreme,
unfortunately it is not possible to simply upgrade from a
classic Airport card to an Airport Extreme (e.g., contrast
"AirPort Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers,"
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106777 with
"AirPort Extreme Card: Compatible Macintosh Computers,"
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107440 ).

Poking around, I have noticed the third party Mac USB wireless
card at http://www.afterthemac.com/ -- has anyone tried one of
these? Do they successfully do WPA or WPA2 (with AES) support?
Any other alternative WPA/WPA2 product that folks are aware of
for this sort of situation under OS X 10.3.9?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
http://www.uoregon.edu/~joe/
Disclaimer: all opinions strictly my own.

Note [1]: http://wireless-starter-kit.com/airportblog/archives/2005/09/
at September 04, 2005 aludes to being able to do at least WPA-TKIP (but
not WPA-AES or WPA2) on 10.3 and later with firmware and OS upgrades,
but in the case I've seen that doesn't appear to be true -- love to
see a pointer to a successful recipe for this if anyone has specific
details for even WPA-TKIP on the classic Airport card.

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems