Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Using Reverse Proxies

From: "Lovaas,Steven" <Steven.Lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 22:45:01 -0700

Tim,

My suspicion is that many of the people using this approach don't use the term 'reverse proxy'. Recently, we hear a lot
about:

* SSL VPN access to protected web resources (Juniper SecureAccess, Cisco ASA, etc)
* application-aware firewalls that re-write web requests (Citrix Application Firewall, Windows ISA, etc)
* web front-end servers for back-end mail (Exchange OWA, SquirrelMail, etc)

In each of these cases, in slightly different ways, the user's request hits a front-end server, which then connects to
the protected resource on the user's behalf. Each technology prevents the user from being able to directly access the
back-end resource. It does all boil down to a 'reverse' proxy, in that the more traditional use for a proxy is to
protect internal users from the Big Bad Network. The reverse proxy, on the other hand, protects the server(s) from all
those nasty users.

In that case, I suspect you might get a lot more positive answers than you'd think. I'm a big fan of all three
approaches...

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State University