Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: ipsCA and free .edu certs

From: Charlie Reitsma <reitsmac () DENISON EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 10:34:57 -0500

You make a good point. But what I found was that we were cutting corners and not encrypting because of the cost of the certs. No one was happy with self-signed certs, having to explain to clients what the popups meant, and how to install the root cert. Having a source for free certs from a recognized root has spurred us on to getting all our services covered. I am hoping that EDUCAUSE would prevent frivolous domain registrations in the .edu space

Quoting Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>:

I've been looking into these also. I am wondering about the low prices - you know - if it sounds too good to be true... From a technical point of view, the root cert uses 1024 bit keys which is a bit low for a root. Also, the root expires in 2009 which introduces uncertainty for me as a reseller to my campus - am I going to have to switch CAs in a year? Perhaps the most troubling is their verification process - the registrant of the domain name gets a cert with no further checking. So any of these marketers who buy permutations of legitimate domain names can easily get a cert for it, for example, in the case of my institution's domain 'utoornto.ca'. I'm hesitant to support this kind of service.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto

Hi Rob, I believed this topic was posted here before. Below was my response. You may want to query the archive list for more info on this topic. Also, in my email below is the email from the vendor stated that you can have free wildcard cert too. My webmail cert works fine with safari, firefox, ie and konqueror.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vuong Phung
Operating Systems Administrator
College of Science - Dean's Office