Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Extremely High Spam Statistics

From: Mark Borrie <mark.borrie () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:35:42 +1300

Hi Tim

Some stats from this part of the world.

Yesterday we had about 1.1 million smtp connects.  We rejected 42% of
these.  Of the remaining, a further 33% were flagged as spam.

This gives us about 61% of incoming email is caught as spam. This leaves
less than 20 other emails per user per day, which seems reasonable. We
do have some spam that gets through, but not a lot.

Your spam % seems very high, and your total valid messages seems low.

Mark.

Tim Lane wrote:
Hello,

I would be interested in comparing our spam stats with other
institutions.  We are currently sent around around 450 000 emails per
day, of which 98-99% are spam leaving around 5000 valid email messages
passed through.  This is transparent to our uses who only receive
valid email.

Are other institution's spam levels this high?  I would be very
interested in hearing stats as I thought global rates were only around
90-95%.

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Lane
Information Security Program Manager

Information Technology and Telecommunication Services
Southern Cross University
PO Box 157 Lismore NSW 2480

(02 6620 3290   7              02 6620 3033   - tlane () scu edu au
8 http://www.scu.edu.au

--
Mark Borrie
Information Security Manager,