Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Security Agent and other HIPS

From: Dan Roberts <ddrobert () KENT EDU>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:59:17 -0500

We purchased CSA for use in our datacenter, and are currently running
version 5.0.  I'm impressed with its capabilities, but its been a long
difficult implementation.  Many of our problems stemmed from bugs in the
software.. there were a lot of them, but the latest patch release seems to
have ironed most of those out.  Your deployment effort will be inversely
proportional to the level of standardization in your environment, but I
suspect that's the same for all available products.  When we were evaluating
products, CSA stood out as the ultimate in flexibility.. there are many
knobs and switches you can adjust.  To keep from becoming overwhelmed,
you'll want a solid idea what you want to accomplish with the product before
you get started.  Download Cisco's 30-day trial.. a small deployment runs
well in VMware.

To the other schools who have had success with CSA: did you implement the
Cisco delivered rules and tune them to your liking, or did you build custom
rules from the ground up?

--
Dan Roberts
Office of Security and Compliance