Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Network access control

From: Russell Fulton <r.fulton () AUCKLAND AC NZ>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 09:04:42 +1300

Wes Young wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 08:17 +1300, Russell Fulton wrote:

we use packetfence (which hooks up to snort) to automatically quarantine
suspected infected machine on our residence network.  Students have to
call the help desk and I am almost never involved.

Do they get a "first strike, fix it yourself" ? or just tagged, bagged
and forced to hit the helpdesk on first incident?

Wes,

Just in case you had any doubts ;-) we are not nice guys when it comes
to students in residences!  First strike and you are in quarantine, but
they do release them if they call up and say they have fixed the
problem.  If address is re-quarantined then  they get charged $50.  We
also use this for enforcing p2p file sharing restrictions.

Russell.