Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

hamachi zero-configuration vpn security???

From: Vuong Phung <vphung () SCIENCE SJSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:52:19 -0700

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anyone has taken advantage of this software and use it in their production environment. Any pro and con???
Is it really secure as they (hamachi website and Steve Gibson) said? I am not a security expert, so I would like to
have your input. I have the following questions:

1. Is it really secure as they said? Because from my testing, all you need is a password, so I guess this whole VPN
network is as secure as the password that I created when setup hamachi client. And this concern me because end users
tend to use weak password.

2. OK let's say it's secure. How can you detect and control these VPN networks because from what hamachi website
mentions "Believe it or not, but we are able to successfully mediate p2p connections in roughly 95% of all cases we
have dealt with so far. This includes peers residing behind various firewalls or broadband routers (aka NAT devices).
It is high-tech and it is really cool :)" http://www.hamachi.cc/howitworks/

Thanks!

http://www.hamachi.cc/security/
http://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm
"Hamachi" Rocks!

This week Leo and I discuss and describe the brand new, ready to emerge from a its long development beta phase,
ultra-secure, lightweight, high-performance, highly-polished, multi-platform, peer-to-peer and FREE! personal virtual
private networking system known as "Hamachi". After two solid weeks of testing and intense dialog with Hamachi's lead
developer and designer, I have fully vetted the system's security architecture and have it running on many of my
systems. While I am travelling to Toronto this week, Hamachi is keeping my roaming laptop securely and directly
connected to all of my machines back home. Don't miss this one!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vuong Phung
Operating Systems Administrator
College of Science - Dean's Office