Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

What are people using to protect mobile devices?

From: James Moore <jhmiso () RIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 11:02:13 -0500

At the National Webcast Initiative yesterday
(http://www.msisac.org/webcast/ ), the speaker looked into the not too
distant future and talked about protecting the mobile infrastructure.
He talked about A/V, firewalls, even IPS for handhelds (phones, PDAs).
I did a little digging and found some of the offerings from the major
A/V players, but also found some specialty/niche vendors, like SMobile
that offers BlackBerry IPS, and BES A/V.  Also Trust Digital seems to
focus on the Mobile market.  Has anyone done an analysis in this area?

Jim

- - - -
Jim Moore, CISSP, IAM
Information Security Officer
Rochester Institute of Technology
13 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester, NY 14623-5603
(585) 475-5406 (office)
(585) 475-4122 (lab)
(585) 475-7950 (fax)

"We will have a chance when we are as efficient at communicating
information security best practices, as hackers and criminals are at
sharing attack information"  - Peter Presidio