Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Changing ISP?

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () UTICA EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 13:54:37 -0400

I tried this cheap method with a cable modem connection but I got shot down
by our DNS administrator.  He said it would not work for two reasons.

1. The secondary DNS is actually used heavily even if the primary is up.  So
it will not work to have your secondary DNS offsite and have it resolve your
website's address to your backup connection.  If you did this lots of folks
would be directed to your cable modem even if your primary was up.

2. It takes up to 48 hours for all of the Internet DNS servers' cache to
time out and re-query your DNS server for a host name.  Therefore you cannot
just have your primary and secondary DNS in-sync up until an outage and then
edit your secondary during the outage to point to your backup.

Do you have a different experience?

I like the mail server suggestion.  I believe in it.