Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Email Security Policies/Practices for Staff

From: Paul Russell <prussell () ND EDU>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:36:09 -0500

On 11/28/2006 16:20, Mike Wiseman wrote:
Hello,

I'm interested to find out if institutions are implementing policies/practices/services on using email with sensitive or
confidential content. I'm thinking of staff working in HR, administration, financial, admissions, network operations, etc.
who want to (or do) use email and need end-to-end security services to reduce exposure to forgery and information compromise.
Services such as email authentication (digital signing via S/MIME or PGP) and/or encryption (S/MIME, encrypted archives, key
storage).

The issue comes up occasionally and people like me give the usual 'don't do it - it's not secure' line. I'd like to
look at recommending products and/or providing the services required.

Mike

You may want to pose this question on the HiEd-EmailAdmin list. The list exists
to provide a forum for the discussion of all aspects of email administration in
higher education.