Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI

From: Brad Judy <Brad.Judy () COLORADO EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 10:52:11 -0600

Just think about it; a centralized,
hardened, access-controlled, processed-documented and closely
monitored payment database

You're making a LOT of assumptions about the quality of security and
compliance for card systems.  Unless a campus is certain that their PCI
systems are at this level, I would start by identifying them and doing
some assessment.

Yes, student PII protection is probably a bigger issue to tackle at most
schools, but don't assume card systems are secure - verify it.

Brad Judy

Switching gears, version 1.1 of the standards are out at their website
(https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/pdfs/pci_dss_v1-1.pdf)
and the new version does contain a handful of non-trivial
changes for those wanting to keep on top of this issue.

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater
(p) 262-472-7792 (f) 262-472-1285