Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Honeypot in Netherlands mirroring entire DNS structures for some .edu's

From: Chris Bennett <bennetc () LCC EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 08:37:56 -0500

Lansing Community College (lcc.edu) also has www.lcc.eu pointed at
212.79.243.140.  I also find an MX record for lcc.eu pointing at
mail.verkeerspark.nl that can take our mistyped email.  I also wonder if
they follow DNS serial number standards and 2006033108 means that the
lcc.eu record has been in place since March of this year.

H. Morrow Long wrote:
yale.eu is registered (by  ASSA ABLOY AB  in Sweden-- I believe they
own the Yale Lock company in the US now) but is not 'mirrored'.

I think you are seeing a domain name squatter on uiuc.eu  -- it is
registered (at www.eurid.eu <http://www.eurid.eu>) to:

% WHOIS uiuc
Domain:      uiuc
Registered:  Fri Apr  7 2006

Registrant:
   Please visit www.eurid.eu <http://www.eurid.eu> for webbased whois.

Agent Technical Contacts:
   Phone:         +31.314399933
   Fax:           +31.314399934
   Email:         support () nl cleanport com
<mailto:support () nl cleanport com>

Registrar:
   Name:      CleanPort
   Website:   www.cleanport.com <http://www.cleanport.com>

Nameservers:
   dns4.blixem.nl
   dns5.blixem.nl

%
[ http://www2.whois.eu/whois/GetWhois.htm;jsessionid=F1D5F2E773414D12F7414CD5E513DCB4
]

Domain details
Domain
Name uiuc
Status REGISTERED
Registered 07 April 2006
Last update 07 April 2006 11:21
Registrant
Name B.H.M. van der Heijden
Organisation Parknet BV
Language Dutch
Address address
Phone phone
Email email
Registrar technical contacts
Name Afdeling Support
Organisation CleanPort BV
Language Dutch
Address Gildenbroederslaan 1
7005 BM Doetinchem
Netherlands
Phone +31.314399933
Fax +31.314399934
Email support () nl cleanport com <mailto:support () nl cleanport com>
Registrar
Organisation CleanPort
Website www.cleanport.com
Nameservers