Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy concerning terminated employee email and file service access

From: Kent Percival <percival () UOGUELPH CA>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 08:04:49 -0500

Shouldn't these policies be aligned with your organization's HR policies
on termination, including access to their office and paper files?
Especially in the case of termination for misconduct, any further
interaction with the organization involves security and legal processes
that need to be followed.  The IT policy should say "follow HR
procedures" and interpret them for IT situations.   On the other hand,
like our institution, many organizations don't have such HR procedures
documented!

....Kent

Kent Percival

Manager, IT Development