Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password policy

From: "Penn, Blake" <pennb () UWW EDU>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:06:59 -0600

You can also use GPOs or registry entries to enforce NTLM-family hashes if
passphrases and/or long passwords are not politically feasible in your
organization and/or if you want to enforce stronger hashes universally
(particularly if you don't need to support legacy Windows systems in a
domain environment).  But, if your hashes are unprotected you are in for
other problems anyway!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299656

Blake Penn, CISSP
Information Security Officer