Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy around IP Phones, Skype, etc.

From: David Gillett <gillettdavid () FHDA EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 11:36:37 -0700

  We have concerns which currently lead us to block these:

1.  Our backbone doesn't yet do QoS.

2.  Skype can be used as a file delivery mechanism; I believe there have
already been attempts to release Skype-based worms.

3.  Skype clients relay for third parties; we interpret this as a violation
of the ToS from our state-funded ISP.

4.  Firewalls are policy enforcement devices.  When you engineer an
application like Skype to sidestep firewalls, what you are building is a
policy violation device.

5.  We have a perfectly good campus phone system.  If a user has a need it's
not meeting, we'd like them to talk to us and not just try to "fix" it
themselves.

David Gillett

  _____