Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: National Cyber Security Awareness Month - Data Security

From: Cam Beasley <cam () AUSTIN UTEXAS EDU>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 07:42:55 -0500

Colleagues --

UT-Austin's security awareness campaign is at:

 http://www.utexas.edu/its/secure/

 Week Three: Surf's Up (http://www.utexas.edu/its/secure/week3.php)
  - The Dangers of Facebook
  - Your Guide to Safe Web Browsing
  - Secure Wireless on Campus
  - Protecting Your Home Wireless System
  - Preventing Online Identity Theft
  - Safe Online Shopping

we've also made posters/post cards for all of our propaganda, which have
been warmly received..

~cam.

--
Cam Beasley CISSP CIFI
University Information Security Officer

On 10/22/06 5:50 PM, "Julia V. Emko" <jvirn () UFL EDU> wrote:

*It's National Cyber Security Awareness Month!*

Just this month, The Chronicle of Higher Education reported

_<http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/10/2006101102t.htm>_
<http://chronicle.com/daily/2006/10/2006101102t.htm> survey findings of

Kenneth C. Green, director of the Campus Computing Project, which stated
that network and data security is a top concern for colleges for the
third year in a row.

As part of our effort to raise security awareness during National Cyber

Security Awareness Month, we want to know what resources you use
regarding data security management and awareness. Both physical and
electronic security should be taken into consideration.

Below are a few of our resources, now let's hear yours!

**Resources**

* Veteran's Affair Information on Data Security

_<http://www.firstgov.gov/veteransinfo.shtml>_
<http://www.firstgov.gov/veteransinfo.shtml>

* EDUCAUSE Data Incident Notification Toolkit
_<http://www.educause.edu/9320>_

* EDUCAUSE Elimination of Social Security Numbers (SSNs) as Primary

Identifiers Resource Center page

_<http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=701>_
<http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=701>

* EDUCAUSE Data Security Resource Center page

_<http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=586>_
<http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=586>

* The University of Florida¹s IT Security Team has spent the last year
focusing on data security in a few different ways.

- Created an information page for faculty and staff

_<http://infosec.ufl.edu/athome/datasec.shtml>_
<http://infosec.ufl.edu/athome/datasec.shtml>

- A committee created a Data Security Standard

_<http://www.it.ufl.edu/policies/security/uf-it-sec-data.html>_
<http://www.it.ufl.edu/policies/security/uf-it-sec-data.html>

      - Created a Crisis Communication Plan which can be followed if
      immediate media responses are needed.