Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Spam defenses besides traditional content scanning

From: Ben Spencer <ben.spencer () MOODY EDU>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:03:07 -0500

A slight follow-up to Anthony's spam appliance probe. Please respond off
list and I will summarize the results.

Questions:
1) Is your organization using any methods to combat spam along side of
or in place of standard content scanning?

2) If known, what methods are used?

3) If there were side affects of the technology (example: delayed
messages), were there political issues which also needed to be
addressed?

4) How were the political issues addressed?

This could include any appliance which employs such functionality (if
known how it identifies spam).

Background:
We are specifically looking at greylisting in addition to more
traditional content scanning. We did a trial which produced some very
nifty results, though, there may be some political issues we are going
to need to deal with. We are looking at methods which are non-content
based due to the explosion of spam we have began to see over the last
six months and the desire/need to prolong the life of our spam scanning
appliance. You can find a general description of greylisting at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greylist

Thanks.

Benji
---