Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Guest Access

From: Steve Lovaas <steven.lovaas () COLOSTATE EDU>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:08:09 -0600

We solve this in two ways:

1) If the parent/potential student is visiting as part of an established
program (like orientation), then the sponsoring organization can include
a guest login as part of the materials they get at check-in.

2) For individual visitors with no sponsor ("just looking, thanks")
there are web-only kiosks in the student center that require no login,
as well as terminals in the library. No wireless, but at least they can
check their web mail.

As for the risks, we feel that we need at least some level of
accountability. If a non-login kiosk misbehaves, we can re-evaluate
offering such services. Other than that, whether it's an automated
process or a manual tracking (like a sign-in sheet at the library or a
sponsor's list of conference attendees), we need to be able to get to
the source PC/user in the case of legal entanglements.

Steve Lovaas
Colorado State

Matt Arthur wrote:
<snip>
It sounds like most of you are doing some kind of 'sponsored' guest
access (which is what we do for our current system), but how do parents
and prospective students find someone to 'sponsor' them?

And, do you think (assuming the technical security problems are taken
care of) there is large political (or legal) risk in simply allowing
folks to come in and use a non-login guest account?

Thanks,
Matt

Matthew K Arthur, CISSP
Director, NTS-Enterprise Networks