Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: DMCA (Ares and other)

From: Rick Coloccia <coloccia () GENESEO EDU>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 16:53:10 -0400

1)       Has Ares been a problem for you this year?

Huge.

2)       Do you block Ares?

I try - we have a packetshaper, but it's doing very poorly with ares.

3)       Do you shape P2P?

Yes, very agressively.

4)       Do you block P2P?

No.

5)       Any other technical solution for combating the illegal use
and/or network impact of P2P and/or Ares?

Oh, I'd love to see what people reply with!

6)       When did you start doing any of the above?

5 years ago...

7)       Any numbers you are willing to share? (if I share any off
list comments back to list I will merge them to keep them unidentifiable)
a.       Violations?
b.       Total on campus student count (for ratio)?

32 this semester.  ~3000 on campus.  Classes started 8/28.  It's been
3 weeks exactly.

We haven't gotten 32 ever!

-Rick

--
Rick Coloccia
Network Manager, State University of NY College at Geneseo