Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security Requirements of Federal Funding Agencies

From: David C Smith <dcs44 () GEORGETOWN EDU>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:55:36 -0400

Rodney, We have heard about upcoming planning on security requirements
for grants and funding, but have only had a few that had them assigned -
that I am aware of.

I believe that in most cases it will be a minimum standard that would
have been expected / recommended from an InfoSec office, such as
background checks, firewalls (more specifically, network exposure to
application required ports only), or a documented security plan, ala PCI.

Of course, I would loved to be surprised with comprehensive
requirements, and not be too happy if it went to unrealistic measures...

- -Dave

- --
David C. Smith, CISSP, CISM
University Information Security Officer, Georgetown University
http://security.georgetown.edu
202-687-7367 Office
dcs44 () georgetown edu

Jim Dillon wrote:
Rodney,

I have little to no insight into it, but we have several centers that
supply NASA with data from satellites, generally atmospheric data and
such.  Some are regular basis, contracted data.  During annual risk
assessment processes the local IT staffs have indicated they must abide
by NASA data protection standards as part of the grant.  Is this the
type of example you are seeking?  I have no specifics, but it seems to
meet the criteria you are interested in.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Dillon, CISA, CISSP
IT Audit Manager, CU Internal Audit