Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

New Video Educates Students on Illegal File Sharing

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 10:57:14 -0600

While it is not necessarily a "security" topic, I recognize that many of
you are responsible for user education on appropriate use topics.
Therefore, I thought you might be interested in the new resource
described below.

-Rodney

Rodney J. Petersen
Policy Analyst & Security Task Force Coordinator

EDUCAUSE
1150 18th Street, N.W., Suite 1010
Washington, D.C.  20036
(202) 331-5368 / (202) 872-4200
(202) 872-4318 (FAX)
EDUCAUSE/Internet2 Security Task Force
www.educause.edu/security

NEW VIDEO EDUCATES STUDENTS ON ILLEGAL FILE SHARING

Please let me call your attention to a short, effective video for
educating students about the consequences of illegally downloading
copyrighted materials developed by the Recording Industry Association of
America (RIAA). The video can be downloaded or a free DVD can be ordered
from http://www.campusdownloading.com/

This video can be a useful supplement to current efforts on your campus
to alert students to their copyright obligations and legal risks as well
as to manage the impact of file sharing on network infrastructure.

EDUCAUSE and the American Council on Education (ACE) have been working
for several years with college and university leaders, other higher
education associations, the RIAA, and the Motion Picture Association of
America to address the consequences of illegal file sharing. Recently,
members of Congress have asked the higher education community to
actively support measures to address this problem.

ACE is bringing this video, titled "Campus Downloading," to the
attention of college and university presidents. You and the senior
leadership on your campus might consider using the video during student
orientation sessions, linking to it when students log on to campus
accounts, or broadcasting it on student life television channels.

I appreciate the efforts to address illegal file sharing you have
already made on your campus and urge you to add this new resource to
your strategy.

Mark Luker
Vice President
EDUCAUSE

EDUCAUSE RESOURCES ON P2P (Peer-to-Peer)/FILE SHARING
* Browse RESOURCES, sign up for E-MAIL ALERTS, or subscribe to RSS at
  http://www.educause.edu/Browse/645?PARENT_ID=608