Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Centralized security administration

From: "Hunt,Keith A" <keith () UAKRON EDU>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 11:19:37 -0400

I was having a conversation with our CIO recently about the difficulties
faced by a central IT department asked to assume responsibility for the
security posture of servers owned and managed by non-IT departments.

He asked me how other universities address this issue. So here I am
asking you kind folks.

Have you been able to establish effective policies and procedures that
provide for central IT personnel to oversee the security aspects of
non-IT devices (especially servers and network equipment)?  Have you
developed some other approach that works better? How do you reconcile
the need for decentralized systems/network admin functions with the need
for an enterprise approach to security?

TIA

--
Keith Hunt  330.972.7968  keith () uakron edu
Internet & Server Systems