Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: hard drive destruction

From: "Pace, Guy" <gpace () CIS CTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 09:21:32 -0700

For desktop systems, where drives may outlast the warranty and
replacement cost would be about $80 to $120, that may be true. But for
server systems, the "keep the drive" option is a definite advantage.
When a drive goes bad in an array, you should keep it and send it for
aproved destruction when Dell (or whatever vendor) replaces it. This
happens often enough in servers and drive arrays that "just replacing"
would be cost prohibitive when the drives cost about $300 to $500 each
and you might get two or three drive failures in a server array in a
year.

I struggle with this since drives sent back are often "refurbished" and
reused. Clean-room rebuilds of drives can re-use a number of the drive
parts. Destruction just makes more material for landfills, some of it
toxic. Generally, there isn't enough information on a single drive in a
RAID5 array that returning the drive to the vendor poses a significant
risk. Much of this is driven by organizational or regulatory mandates.
If there were a reliable way to insure that a dead drive could be
cleaned of all data prior to returning it to the vendor, I would be all
for that.

Reduce, reuse, recycle.

Guy L. Pace, CISSP
Security Administrator